Stephen L. Smith
Canada Research Chair in Autonomous Systems
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Waterloo
|200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada
Tel: +1 (519) 888-4567 x31215
Office: E5 5112
Stephen L. Smith is a Canada Research Chair in Autonomous Systems and an Associate Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He was a postdoctoral researcher in the Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Lab at MIT. He completed his PhD at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), his Master's at the University of Toronto, and his B.Sc. at Queen's University, Kingston. He is a licensed Professional Engineer (PEng) with the Professional Engineers Ontario, a Senior Member of the IEEE, and an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Control of Networks Systems. His research focuses on control and optimization for autonomous systems and robotics.
Dr. Smith's research interests are in the control of autonomous systems, robot motion planning and coordination, along with applied combinatorial optimization. The following are some particular research areas:
- Persistent monitoring and patrolling: monitoring complex environments and extending robot lifespan via autonomous recharging.
- Robot motion planning: methods for planning robot motion to efficiently complete complex tasks.
- Planning under uncertainty: planning and sensing for operation in unknown environments.
- Dynamic vehicle routing: efficient dispatching robots to respond to task requests in real-time.
- Future transportation systems: vehicle routing and ride-sharing for urban transportation.
- Informative path planning: maximizing information gained about an unknown environments.
- I have also worked on task allocation, formation control, consensus/rendezvous and ocean sampling.
Lectures in Robotic Planning and Kinematics, by F. Bullo and S. L. Smith.
Work in progress, current version is v0.91, Nov 2015
- ECE406: Algorithm Design and Analysis (Winter 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).
- ECE 686: Filtering and Control of Stochastic Linear Systems (Winter 2017).
- ECE780 T08: Topics in Motion Coordination and Planning (Spring 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017).
- ECE380: Analog Control Systems (Winter 2012, 2015, Spring 2016).
- ME179P: Introduction to Robotics: Planning and Kinematics (Fall 2014 at UC Santa Barbara).
ECE486: Robot Dynamics and Control (Spring 2013).
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Control of Networks Systems, 2017 -- present
- Associate Editor, IEEE Control Systems Society, Conference Editorial Board, 2013 -- present
- Program Committee Member, ACM/SIGAPP Symposium on Applied Computing Track on Intelligent Robotics and Multi-Agent Systems , 2018
- Program Committee Member, Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Associate Editor, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2014 -- 2016
- Associate Editor, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2016
- Program Committee Member, Workshop on the Algorithmic Foundation of Robotics (WAFR), 2012, 2014, 2016
- Program Committee Member, International Symposium on Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems (DARS), 2014, 2016
- Program Committee Member, Conference on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV), 2012, 2013, 2014
- Control and Robotics Symposium Chair, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering, Montreal, Canada, May 2012