Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
Tel: +1 (519) 888-4567 x31215
Office: E5 5112
Stephen L. Smith is an Assistant Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He was a postdoctoral researcher in the Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Lab at MIT. He completed his PhD at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), his Master's at the University of Toronto, and his B.Sc. at Queen's University, Kingston.
- ECE780 T08: Topics in Motion Coordination and Planning (Spring 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015).
- ECE406: Algorithm Design and Analysis (Winter 2013, 2014, 2015).
- ECE380: Analog Control Systems (Winter 2012, 2015).
- ME179P: Introduction to Robotics: Planning and Kinematics (Fall 2014 at UC Santa Barbara).
- ECE486: Robot Dynamics and Control (Spring 2013).
Dr. Smith's research interests are in the distributed control of autonomous systems, robot motion planning and coordination, along with applied combinatorial optimization. The following are some particular research areas:
- Persistent monitoring and patrolling: monitoring complex environments via multiple robots, and extending robot lifespan through autonomous recharging.
- Robot motion planning: languages for specifying complex robot motion tasks and solvers for generating optimal motion plans.
- Dynamic vehicle routing: efficient dispatching robots of to respond to task requests in real-time.
- Transportation systems: vehicle routing and optimization for ride-share optimization and future urban transportation.
- Informative path planning: planing robot paths to maximize the information gained about an unknown environment.
- Robust optimization in control: utilizing combinatorial notions of robustness in classic control problems such as observer design.
- In the past I have also worked on task allocation, formation control, and consensus/rendezvous problems and adaptive ocean sampling.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Control Systems Society, Conference Editorial Board, 2013 -- present
- Associate Editor, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2014 -- present
- Program Committee Member, Workshop on the Algorithmic Foundation of Robotics (WAFR), 2012, 2014, 2016
- Program Committee Member, Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Program Committee Member, International Symposium on Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems (DARS), 2014
- Program Committee Member, Conference on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV), 2012, 2013, 2014
- Control and Robotics Symposium Chair, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering, Montreal, Canada, May 2012