Mahesh V. Tripunitara
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)
The University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1
fax: +1-519-746-3077 (a cover page is necessary)
I have been with the
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the
University of Waterloo since
January 2009. Since July 2014, I am an Associate Professor (with Tenure).
I was an Assistant Professor through June 2014.
For 3 years prior to coming to Waterloo, I was principal research staff in
the Security and Privacy Technology Lab at Motorola's corporate R&D Labs in
I have a Ph.D. in
Computer Science from Purdue
University, where my advisor was Ninghui Li.
Gene Spafford has also been a significant influence.
Before returning to Purdue in 2003 for the Ph.D., I spent about 6 years in industry, mostly in software development. It included about 4 years in Silicon Valley. I have a B.Sc.(Hons.) in Computer Science
from Dalhousie University, where my honours project supervisor was
Patrick Keast. Before that, I attended the Chinmaya Vidyalaya, at its old campus in Ernakulam, near the Ernakulathappan Temple.
I research information security. Most of my work has been in
authorization and access control. I have worked also on
cryptographic key transport, secure payments, usable security, and
security and reliability of computer hardware.
My work tends to be a mix of fundamental and applied aspects.
Software Engineering Sept. 1, 2015 – Aug. 31, 2018, I serve
Associate Director of the
Software Engineering program (SE).
Please use firstname.lastname@example.org
to contact me regarding matters related to SE.
Publications (last updated: June 2015)
DBLP is fairly accurate.
- Mohawk+T: Analysis of Administrative Temporal RBAC Policies.
- Two compositions of Kerberos and Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY).
- A benchmark for access enforcement in Role-Based Access Control (RBAC).
- Mohawk: verification of authorization policies.
- CNF-SAT and Fixed-Parameter Polynomial-time
for the User Authorization Query (UAQ) problem in Role-Based Access Control (RBAC).
Students (latest to earliest matriculant)
- Zane Lin, M.A.Sc., next: AWS S3
- Jon Shahen, M.A.Sc., next: Ph.D. with me
- Nahid Juma (co-advised with Werner Dietl), M.A.Sc., next: Ph.D. with me
- Marlon McKenzie (co-advised with Wojciech Golab), M.A.Sc., next: SAP
- Alireza Mortezaei (co-advised with Gord Agnew), M.A.Sc., next: MosaixSoft
- Mark Dittmer, M.A.Sc., December 2014, next: Google
- Mohamed El Massad (co-advised with Siddharth Garg), M.A.Sc., April 2014, next: Ph.D. with Siddharth Garg
- Nima Mousavi, Ph.D., defended successfully Aug. 29, 2013, next: Google
- Alireza Sharifi, Ph.D., defended successfully June 24, 2013, next: Tangam Systems
- Frank Imeson (co-advised with Siddharth Garg), M.A.Sc., April 2013, next: Ph.D. with Stephen Smith
- Vivek Krishnan, M.A.Sc., August 2012, next: I Think Security
- Jeff Woo (co-advised with Gord Agnew), M.A.Sc., April 2012, next: stealth startup
- Toufik Zitouni, M.A.Sc., June 2011, next: Descartes
- Marko Komlenovic, M.A.Sc., June 2011, next: Microsoft
- Jeff Zarnett (co-advised with Patrick Lam), M.A.Sc., June 2010, next: self-employed
- Undergraduate research
- Caroline White, May-Aug 2017
- Haobei Song, Jan-Apr 2017
- Yi Fei Chen, Jan-Apr 2017
- Fatima Zohra, Jan-Apr 2016
- Craig Lalumiere, Jan-Apr 2016
- Sam Meyer-Reed, Sep-Dec 2015
- Eric Hollbach, May-Aug 2014
- Jon Shahen, Jan-Apr 2014
- Alireza Mortezaei, Jan-Apr 2012
- Konstantin Lopyrev, Jan-Apr 2012
- Adrian Petrescu, May-Aug 2011
- Yu Luo, Jan-Apr 2011
- Kinson Chik, Jan-Apr 2010
- Jeff Woo, Jan-Apr 2010
Teaching (to be updated, links forthcoming)
- ECE 493T07/458, Computer Security - Spring: '09; Winter: '11, '12
- ECE 750T15/606/406, Algorithms - Fall: '09, '12; Winter: '11, '12
- ECE 428, Networks and Security - Spring: '10, '11
- ECE 750T26, Methods & Tools for Software Engineering - Fall '12
External Service (Selected)
CloudCom (Security & Privacy Track PC co-Chair 2015),
CODASPY (PC 2012-2015), CCS (PC 2014-2015), ESORICS (PC 2013-2014), SACMAT (PC co-Chair 2014, PC 2009-2013, Panels co-Chair 2010, 2012-2013, Publicity Chair 2011), POLICY (PC 2010-2012], IFIPTM (PC 2009-2012), ICISS (PC 2009, 2012-2014), NSS (PC 2012-2013), NSF (Panelist).