Mahesh V. Tripunitara
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)
The University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1
fax: +1-519-746-3077 (a cover page is necessary)
I am a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo, where I have been since January 2009. For 3 years prior to coming to Waterloo, I was principal research staff in the Security and Privacy Technology Lab at Motorola's corporate R&D Labs in Schaumburg.
I have a Ph.D. in
Computer Science from Purdue
University, where my advisor was Ninghui Li.
Gene Spafford has also been a significant influence.
Before returning to Purdue in 2003 for the Ph.D., I spent about 6 years in industry, mostly in software development. It included about 4 years in Silicon Valley. I have a B.Sc.(Hons.) in Computer Science
from Dalhousie University, where my honours project supervisor was
Patrick Keast. Before that, I attended the Chinmaya Vidyalaya, at its old campus in Ernakulam, near the Ernakulathappan Temple.
I research information security, with work over the years in authorization and access control, cryptographic key transport, secure payments, usable security, and security and reliability of computer hardware. My work tends to be a mix of fundamental and applied aspects.
Google Scholar is fairly accurate.
Software (may be outdated)
- Mohawk+T: Analysis of Administrative Temporal RBAC Policies.
- Two compositions of Kerberos and Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY).
- A benchmark for access enforcement in Role-Based Access Control (RBAC).
- Mohawk: verification of authorization policies.
- CNF-SAT and Fixed-Parameter Polynomial-time
for the User Authorization Query (UAQ) problem in Role-Based Access Control (RBAC).
Students (latest to earliest matriculant)
- Yekta Demirci, M.A.Sc. (jointly with Catherine Rosenberg)
- Mark Dittmer, Ph.D.
- Alireza Lotfi, M.A.Sc.
- Indrani Ray, M.A.Sc.
- Rahul Punchhi, M.A.Sc. (jointly with Catherine Rosenberg)
- Qiang Guo, M.A.Sc.
- Boyun Zhang, M.A.Sc.
- Tejvinder Toor, M.A.Sc. (jointly with Arie Gurfinkel)
- Puneet Gill, M.A.Sc. (jointly with Werner Dietl)
- Jon Shahen, Ph.D.
- Nahid Juma, Ph.D.
- Xiaowei Huang, M.A.Sc., December 2019
- Haobei Song, M.A.Sc., December 2019, next: Manulife
- Yi Fei Chen, M.A.Sc., December 2019
- Zane Lin, M.A.Sc., August 2016, next: AWS S3
- Jon Shahen, M.A.Sc., August 2016, next: Ph.D. with me
- Nahid Juma (co-advised with Werner Dietl), M.A.Sc., August 2015, next: Ph.D. with me
- Marlon McKenzie (co-advised with Wojciech Golab), M.A.Sc., August 2015, next: SAP
- Alireza Mortezaei (co-advised with Gord Agnew), M.A.Sc., April 2015, next: MosaixSoft
- Mark Dittmer, M.A.Sc., December 2014, next: Google
- Mohamed Elmassad (co-advised with Siddharth Garg), M.A.Sc., April 2014, next: Ph.D. with Siddharth Garg
- Nima Mousavi, Ph.D., defended successfully Aug. 29, 2013, next: Google
- Alireza Sharifi, Ph.D., defended successfully June 24, 2013, next: Tangam Systems
- Frank Imeson (co-advised with Siddharth Garg), M.A.Sc., April 2013, next: Ph.D. with Stephen Smith
- Vivek Krishnan, M.A.Sc., August 2012, next: I Think Security
- Jeff Woo (co-advised with Gord Agnew), M.A.Sc., April 2012, next: stealth startup
- Toufik Zitouni, M.A.Sc., June 2011, next: Descartes
- Marko Komlenovic, M.A.Sc., June 2011, next: Microsoft
- Jeff Zarnett (co-advised with Patrick Lam), M.A.Sc., June 2010, next: self-employed
- Undergraduate research
- Rahul Punchhi, Jan-Apr 2019
- Beverly Vaz, May-Aug 2018
- Caroline White, May-Aug 2017
- Haobei Song, Jan-Apr 2017
- Yi Fei Chen, Jan-Apr 2017
- Fatima Zohra, Jan-Apr 2016
- Craig Lalumiere, Jan-Apr 2016
- Sam Meyer-Reed, Sep-Dec 2015
- Eric Hollbach, May-Aug 2014
- Jon Shahen, Jan-Apr 2014
- Alireza Mortezaei, Jan-Apr 2012
- Konstantin Lopyrev, Jan-Apr 2012
- Adrian Petrescu, May-Aug 2011
- Yu Luo, Jan-Apr 2011
- Kinson Chik, Jan-Apr 2010
- Jeff Woo, Jan-Apr 2010