of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
mazum AT uwaterloo.ca
4567 Ext. 37444
Fax: 1-519-746 3077
Mazumdar was born in Bangalore, India. He obtained
the B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology,
Bombay, India in 1977, the M.Sc. DIC in Control Systems from Imperial College, London, U.K.
and the Ph.D. in Systems Science from the University of California, Los
1978-79 he was employed with GEC Electrical
Projects Ltd., Rugby, U.K. From April 1983-Oct. 1983 he was a
Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, N.J. He
visiting appointments at UCLA
of Twente, Enschede,
The Netherlands (Fall 1984), Indian
Science, Bangalore (Fall 1994) and the Ecole Nationale Superieure des
Telecommunications, Paris (1995). From 1985-1988 he was an
Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering,
where he was also a member of the Center for Telecommunications
Research. From 1988-96 he was a Professor at INRS-Telecommunications,
well as held an invited appointment in the Department of
Electrical Engineering, McGill
University, Montreal. In September 1996 he joined the
Mathematics, University of
Colchester, U.K. as Professor of Stochastic Systems and
Research. From 1999-2004 he was Professor of Electrical and
Engineering at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA.
Fall of 2004 he joined the University of Waterloo as Professor
holder of a University Research Chair.
is a D.J. Gandhi Distinguished Visiting Professor at the Indian
Institute of Technology, Bombay since 2012 and was appointed as
Professor, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India
has been a consultant ("expert scientifique")
January 1994 to September 1996. He has been and is involved in
conferences including IEEE INFOCOM, International Teletraffic
(ITC) and IFIP Broadband Communication.
was elected IEEE Fellow for
"contributions to modeling, control, and performance analysis of
networks". He is also a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
member of the working groups
WG6.3 and 7.1 of IFIP. He has received Best Paper Awards at
2015 (Sydney), the International Teletraffic Congress 2015
(ITC27-Ghent), the IEEE INFOCOM2006 (Barcelona) and received the
Runner-up award at INFOCOM 1998 (San Francisco).
- Applied Probability
- Stochastic Analysis
- Stochastic control
- Optimization and game theory
- Statistical inference and
- Wireline and wireless networks
- Queueing theory
- Network science
- Stochastic Networks
- Nonlinear filtering
- High dimensional statistics and causal inference
- Random interacting particle systems
- Information theory
- ECE 342
Signals and Systems
- ECE 316
Probability and Random
Variables (Winter: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014)
- ECE 603
Statistical Signal Processing (Fall 2014)
- ECE 604
Stochastic Processes (Fall: 2005, 2007, 2009,
2011,2013, 2015, 2017)
605 Advanced Queueing Theory (Winter: 2009, 2012, 2018)
610 Computer Networks (Winter 2019)
- ECE 710
models and random
algorithms for learning (Fall 2010)
784/902 Introduction to Stochastic Calculus (Winter:
Performance Modeling, Loss Networks, and
Statistical Multiplexing, Morgan and Claypool, San
The second edition was entitled Performance Modeling, Stochastic Networks, and
Statistical Multiplexing (2013) to reflect the expanded
scope. The monograph can
be downloaded for free if your university subscribes
to the series. It
is available in two formats. As an e-book or in paperback that can
ordered from Amazon.com. It is suitable for a graduate
performance analysis and modeling of communication networks.
Publications (2000-)( here is a
Papers in Edited Volumes
- T. Vasantam and R. R. Mazumdar, Sensitivity of Mean-field
Fluctuations in Erlang Loss Models with Randomized Routing, Journal of Applied Probability,
58 (2), June 2021, to appear.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, R.. R. Mazumdar, and R. Roy; Voter and
Majority Dynamics with Biased and Stubborn Agents, J. of Stat. Phy. 181,
2020, pp. 1239-1265. doi: 10.1007/s10955-020-02625-w
Tillberg, P. Marbach, and R. Mazumdar, Optimal Bidding
Online Ad Auctions with Overlapping Targeting Criteria, POMACS (Proceedings of the ACM
on Measurement and Analysis of Computer Systems), Vol
4 (2), June 2020. 54 pages. Presented at Sigmetrics 2020.
Available from ArXiv: arXiv:2004.07190
Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R.R. Mazumdar,Insensitivity of
mean-field limit of loss systems under SQ(d) routing, Advances in
Applied Probability, Vol. 51.4, Dec 2019, pp.1-40.
Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R.R. Mazumdar; The Mean-field
of Processor Sharing Systems with General Job Lengths Under
Evaluation (PEVA) , Volumes 127-128, 2018, pp.
- A. Karthik, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R. R. Mazumdar, Choosing
among heterogeneous server clouds, Queueing Systems,Vol. 85 (1-2), 2017, pp. 1-29. DOI
Mukhopadhyay, A. Karthik, and R. R. Mazumdar; Randomized
Jobs to Servers in Heterogeneous Clusters of Shared Servers
Delay, Stochastic Systems,
Vol 6 (1), 2016, pp.90-131. Available from
- S. Birmiwal, R. R. Mazumdar, and S. Sundaram, Pricing in Processor Sharing Systems,
Vol. 63 (3), 2016, pp. 421-435.
- J. Etminan, H. Keshavarz, and R. R. Mazumdar,
Effects of Shadowing on the Number of Active Users in
Multi-User Channels, Wireless
Networks, Vol 22 (8), 2016, pp.2501-2509.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, A. Karthik, R. R. Mazumdar and
F. Guillemin: Mean field and propagation of chaos in
heterogeneous loss models, Performance Evaluation (PEVA), Vol. 91,
(2015) pp. 117-131. Performance 2015 Best Paper Award. Corrected
- A. Mukhopadhyay and R. R. Mazumdar, Analysis of Load Balancing
in Large Heterogeneous Processor Sharing Systems, IEEE Trans on Control of
Networked Systems (TCNS), Vol. 3 (2), 2016, pp.
116-126. DOI 10.1109/TCNS.2015.2428331,
Guillemin and R. R. Mazumdar; Conditional sojourn times and
applications to volatility of payment schemes in bandwidth
networks, J. of Applied
Probability, Volume 52, Issue 4
2015 , pp. 962-980
Kamath, D. Manjunath, and R. R. Mazumdar; On Distributed
Computation in Structure-Free Random Wireless Networks, IEEE Trans. on Information
Theory, Vol 60 (1), 2014, pp. 432-442
- S. Datta Gupta, R. R. Mazumdar, and P. W. Glynn;
On the Convergence of the Spectrum of Finite Order
Stationary Time Series, J
of Multivariate Analysis, 121 (2013), pp. 1-21.
- S. Kompalli and R. R. Mazumdar; On the Stability
Finite Number of Queues, IEEE
Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. 59 (10), 2013, pp.
- J-P. Haddad and R. R. Mazumdar, Congestion in
large balanced fair systems, Queueing Systems (QUESTA) Special
Network Asymptotics, Vol. 74 (2), 2013, pp. 333-368
- J-P. Haddad and R. R. Mazumdar; Stationary distributions
networks with Levy inputs in heavy traffic, QUESTA, Vol 70(1), 2012,
- A. V. Balakrishnan and R. R. Mazumdar, On Powers of
Gaussian White Noise, IEEE
Trans. on Information Theory, Vol 57 (11), 2011, pp.
Haddad, R. R. Mazumdar, and F. J. Piera, Pathwise comparison
for stochastic fluid networks, Queueing
(QUESTA), Vol. 66, 2010, pp. 155-168
- G. Sharma,
C. Joo, N. Shroff, and R.R. Mazumdar; On the Complexity
in Wireless Networks, Special Issue on "Adaptive
Strategies for Fourth Generation Wireless Communications", EURASIP J. of Wireless
Networking, 2010, doi:10.1155/2010/418934.
- G. Sharma,
C. Joo, N. B. Shroff, and R. R. Mazumdar, Joint Congestion
Distributed Scheduling for Throughput Guarantees in Wireless
Special Issue on Cross-layer Modeling and Simulation, ACM Transactions on Modeling and
Simulation, Vol. 21, No. 1, Dec. 2010, pp. 5.1-5.25.
- L. Le and
R. R. Mazumdar; Control
of Wireless Networks with Flow
Level Dynamics under Constant Time Scheduling, ACM Wireless Networks,
16 (5), 2010, pp. 1355-1372.
Keshavarz, R. R. Mazumdar, and L.L Xie; User Capacity Scaling
Fading Multiple-Access Channels, IEEE
Wireless, 2009, Vol. 8 (9), 2009, pp. 4498-4507.
P. Mhatre, C. P. Rosenberg, and R. R. Mazumdar; On the
capacity of ad
hoc networks under random packet losses, IEEE
Vol 55 (6), 2009,
Nurdin, R. R. Mazumdar, and A. Bagchi; Reduced-Dimension
Linear Transform Coding of Distributed Correlated Signals with
Incomplete Observations, IEEE
on Information Theory, Vol. 55 (6), 2009, pp.
- F. Piera and R. R. Mazumdar; Comparison
Vol 13, October 2008, paper 61, pp1886-1908.
- F. Piera, R. R. Mazumdar and F. Guillemin, Boundary
Vol. 40(2), 2008, pp. 529-547.
- H. Keshavarz, L.L. Xie, and R. Mazumdar; On the optimal number of active receivers
in fading broadcast channels; IEEE
Th, Vol. 54, No 3, 2008, pp. 1323-1327.
- F. Piera, R. R. Mazumdar, and F. M. Guillemin;
Existence and characterization of product-form distributions
state-dependent stochastic networks in the heavy-traffic
limit, Queueing Systems
Vol. 58 (1), 2008, pp 3-27.
- Y. Ying, F. Guillemin, R. Mazumdar, and C.
overflow asymptotics for multiplexed regulated traffic,
(8), 2008, pp. 555-572.
- G. Sharma and R. R. Mazumdar; A
Case for Hybrid Sensor
Networks, IEEE/ACM Trans.
Networking, Vol 16 (8), 2008 , pp. 1121-1132
- G. Sharma, R. R. Mazumdar, and N.B. Shroff; Delay and
Capacity Trade-offs in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: A Global
Trans. on Networking, 2007,
- F. Guillemin, R. Mazumdar, C. Rosenberg, and
Ying; Stochastic ordering property for leaky
bucket regulated flows in packet networks, J. of Applied Probability,
(2), 2007, pp 331-347
- J.-W. Lee, R. R. Mazumdar, and N. B. Shroff, Joint
opportunistic power scheduling and rate control for wireless
networks, IEEE Transactions
Vehicular Technology, Vol. 56, No. 2, 2007,
- Piera, F.,
Mazumdar, R. R., and Guillemin, F.M.;
times and boundary properties of reflected diffusions with
jumps in the
positive orthant, Markov
Processes and Related Fields, 12(3), 2006, pp.
- X. Lin, G. Sharma, R. Mazumdar, and N. Shroff;
delay/capacity tradeoffs in ad hoc networks with Brownian
mobility, IEEE Trans. on
Special Issue on Networking and
Information Theory, 52 (6), 2006, pp. 2777-2784.
- Likhanov, N. B., Mazumdar, R., and M. N.
Nakarykov; Overflow asymptotics for continuous time models, Information
Processes (in Russian), 2005, vol.5, no.3,
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N.B;
Opportunistic power scheduling in wireless systems, IEEE Trans. on
Wireless Networks, Vol 5 (6), 2006, pp. 1506-1515
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N.B.;
Joint resource allocation and base-station
assignment for the downlink in CDMA networks, IEEE/ACM Trans on Networking,
(1), 2006, pp. 4-15
- Piera, F., Mazumdar, R. R. , and Guillemin, F. M.; On
distributions for reflected diffusions with jumps in the
orthant, Adv. Applied
Vol 37 (1), 2005, pp. 212-228.
- Lee, J-W., Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N. B.;
Non-convex Optimization and Rate Control for Multi-class
Internet, IEEE/ACM Trans.
Networking, Vol. 13 (4), 2005, pp. 841-853
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R.R., and Shroff, N.B.;
Downlink power allocation for multi-class wireless systems, IEEE/ACM
Trans. on Networking, Vol 13 (4), 2005, pp. 854-867
- Dube, P. Guillemin, F., and Mazumdar, R.R.;
functions of Levy Processes and Busy Periods of Finite
queues, J. of Applied Prob.,
- Mhatre, V., Rosenberg, C., Kofman, D.,
R., and Shroff, N. B.; A Minimum Cost Heterogeneous
Network with a Lifetime Constraint, IEEE Trans. on Mobile
Computing, 2005, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp 4-15
- Guillemin, F. and
Mazumdar, R.; Rate conservation laws for multidimensional
bounded variation with applications to priority queueing
Probability, Vol. 6, 2004, pp. 136-159.
- Ozturk, O., Mazumdar, R. R., and Likhanov, N.;
Many sources asymptotics in networks with small buffers, Queueing
(QUESTA), Vol. 46, Nos. 1-2, 2004, pp.129-147
- Likhanov, N., Mazumdar, R. and Ozturk,
Large buffer asymptotics for fluid queues with heterogeneous
Weibullian inputs, QUESTA, Vol. 45, 2003, pp.
- Guillemin, F., Mazumdar, R.,
A. and Boyer, J.; Analysis of the fluid weighted fair
system, Journal of Applied Probability, 40
- Delas, S., Mazumdar, R. R., and Rosenberg,
Tail asymptotics for HOL priority queues handling a large
independent stationary sources, Queueing Systems
- Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar, R.; Loss in large
buffers fed by a heterogeneous long-tailed sources, Advances
Applied Probability, Vol. 32, No. 4, Dec. 2000,
- Yaiche, H., Mazumdar, R. R. and Rosenberg,
game-theoretic framework for bandwidth allocation and pricing
broadband networks, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking,
No. 5, Oct. 2000, pp. 667-678.
Other Papers (Submitted or in
- J-P. Haddad and R. R. Mazumdar, On the validity of heavy
traffic stationary distributions in stochastic networks with
inputs, ValueTools 2009, Pisa, Oct. 2009.
- S. Kompalli and R. R. Mazumdar, On a positive recurrence
criterion for multidimensional Markov chains with application
stability of slotted-Aloha with a finite number of queues,
of the International Teletraffic Congress, ITC-21, Paris,
- Likhanov, N. , Mazumdar, R. R. and Theberge, F.; Providing QoS in Large Networks: Statistical
multiplexing and admission control, in Analysis,
Optimization of Complex Dynamic Systems ,
R. Malhame eds., Kluwer,
- Guillemin, F.M., Likhanov, N., Mazumdar, R.R., Rosenberg,
P., and Ying, Y.; Buffer
bounds for multiplexed regulated traffic streams,
QoS in Heterogeneous Environments, International
Congress 18, Elsevier science, July 2003
- Yaiche, H., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg, C.; A
game theoretic framework for bandwidth allocation and pricing
services in ATM networks,in Broadband'98, P. Kuehn, R.
eds.; Chapman and Hall, 1998.
- Theberge, F., Guillemin, F. and Mazumdar,
Modelling and performance of ATM ABT with delayed
transmission, in Teletraffic
age, 15th ITC ,Washington, D.C.,
V. Ramaswami and P. E. Wirth eds., Elsevier Science,
Vasantam and R. R. Mazumdar, On critically loaded multi-server
systems with randomized load balancing, submitted July 2019.
- H. Keshavarz, R.R. Mazumdar, R. Roy, and F. Zoghalchi, On
the number of active links in random wireless networks, IEEE Trans. on Communications,
submitted Dec 2014. Available from arxiv http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.3098
Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, Determining the
among Time Series via Filtering Techniques, in preparation.
- O. Ozturk, R. R. Mazumdar, and N. B. Likhanov, Buffer
occupancy asymptotics in rate proportional sharing networks
heterogeneous long-tailed inputs, Stochastic Systems, submitted Nov. 2014. Available from: http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.2867
- O. Ozturk and R. R. Mazumdar, End-to-end estimates for loss
in large networks of GPS servers with small buffers,
- Sharma, G. and
Mazumdar, R. R.; Delay and capacity
for wireless ad hoc
networks with random mobility, unpublished 2004..
- Dube, P. and Mazumdar, R.; A framework for the quickest
traffic anomalies in networks, unpublished, 2001 (pdf)
- Kotopoulos, C. and Mazumdar, R.; Buffer occupancy and delay asymptotics in
multi-buffered systems with GPS handling a large number of
traffic streams, unpublished, March 2002 (pdf).
- E.Tillberg, P. Marbach, and R. Mazumdar, Optimal Bidding
Strategies for Online Ad Auctions with Overlapping
Targeting Criteria, Sigmetrics 2020, Cambridge (MA), June
2020.See journal version in POMACS.
Vasantam and R.R. Mazumdar, Fluctuations around the mean-field
large scale Erlang Loss system under SQ(d) load balancing,
Budapest, August 2019. Available from IEEE Explore.
- F. M.
Guillemin, R. R. Mazumdar, C. Rosenberg, and Y. Ying, Network
for Mean Delay Analysis through a Network, Workshop on Network
NetCal, Vienna, September, 2018.
Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R. R. Mazumdar, The Mean-field
of Processor Sharing Systems with General Job Lengths Under
Policy, Performance 2018, Toulouse, Dec 2018.
- T. Vasantam and R. R. Mazumdar; On occupancy based
randomized routing schemes in large systems of shared servers,
Proceedings ITC 30, Vienna, Sept. 2018.
- R. Kinnear
and R.R. Mazumdar, Sparse Granger-Causal Network Learning via
Wise Group LASSO -- An Application of ADMM for Large Vector
Autoregressions, in Contributions to Statistics, Proceedings
Conference on Time Series, Granada, Spain, Sept. 2017.
- T. Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, R. R. Mazumdar,
Analysis of Loss Models with Mixed-Erlang Distributions under
Power-of-d Routing", 29th International Teletraffic Congress
2017, Genoa, Italy.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, R. R. Mazumdar, and R. Roy, Binary
Opinion Dynamics with Biased Agents and Agents with Different
of Stubbornness, International Teletraffic Congress ITC-28,
Germany, September 2016.
- T. Vasantam, R.R. Mazumdar and A. Mukhopadhyay,
Insensitivity of the mean field in power of d routing in loss
with phase type distributions, European Conference on Queueing
Toulouse, July 16-18, 2016.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, R. Mazumdar, and R. Roy, Majority Rule
Based Opinion Dynamics with Biased and Stubborn Agents,
Sigmetrics/Performance 2016, Juan-les-Pins, June 2016.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, A. Karthik, R.R. Mazumdar and F.
Guillemin, Mean field and propagation of chaos in multiclass
heterogeneous loss models, IFIP WG 7.3 Performance 2015, Oct.
19-21, 2015, Sydney. Best Paper Award
- A. Mukhopadhyay, R.R. Mazumdar and F. Guillemin: The
of randomized routing in heterogeneous loss systems,
Teletraffic Congress (ITC 27), Ghent. Sept. 8-10, 2015. Best Paper Award.
- A. Mukhopadhyay and R. Mazumdar, Randomized Routing
Schemes for Large Processor SharingSystems with Multiple
ACM Sigmetrics, Austin, TX, June 17-19, 2014
- A. Mukhopadhyay and R. Mazumdar, Rate-Based Randomized
Routing in Large Heterogeneous Processor Sharing Systems,
of the International Tletraffic Congress, ITC 26, Karlskrona,
September 9-11, 2014.
- S. Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, Granger-Causality
Cyclostationary Time Series Through Time-invariant Estimators,
International work-conference on Time Series-ITISE 2014 .June,
2014. Granada (SPAIN)
- S. Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, A Frequency-domain
Lasso approach for Detecting Interdependence Relations
amongTime Series, International work-conference on
Time Series-ITISE 2014 .June, 25-27, 2014. Granada (SPAIN)
- S. Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, Inferring Causality
in Networks of WSS Time Series by Pairwise Estimation Methods,
Proceedings of ITA 2013, San Diego, Jan. 2013.
- S. Birmiwal, R. R. Mazumdar, and S. Sundaram, Processor
Sharing and Pricing Implications, Proceedings of the ITC 24,
Poland, Sept. 2012.
- S. Birmiwal, U. Nair, D. Manjunath, and R. R. Mazumdar,
Minimization in Multihop Wireless Networks: Static Scheduling
Proceedings of WiOpt 2012, June 2012.
- S. Birmiwal, R. R. Mazumdar, and S. Sundaram; Insensitive
Resource Allocation and Pricing, submitted proceedings of
Princeton, March 2012.
- S. Datta Gupta, R. R. Mazumdar, and P.W. Glynn; On the
Asymptotic Behavior of the Spectral Density of Autoregressive
Estimates, Proceedings of the 2011 Allerton Conference, Sept.
- T. Bonald, J-P. Haddad, and R.R. Mazumdar, Congestion
in Large Balanced Multirate Links, ITC 2011, San Francisco,
- L. Le and R. R.
Mazumdar; Appropriate Control of Wireless
Networks with Flow Level Dynamics, CISS08, Princeton, N.J.,
- H. Keshavarz, R. R. Mazumdar, and L-L.Xie; Maximum Number
Active Links in Wireless Networks with Fading Channels,
Theory and Applications (ITA08), San Diego, Jan 2008.
- H. Keshavarz, L-L. Xie, and R. R. Mazumdar; User
Capacity of Fading
Multi-User Channels with a Minimum Rate Constraint. Proc.
Beijing, May 2008.
- K. Ma, R. R. Mazumdar, and J. Luo; On
the performance of primal/dual schemes for congestion
networks with dynamic flows, INFOCOM 2008.
- Sharma, G., Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.; Joint Congestion
Networks, IEEE INFOCOM 2007.
- Sharma, G., Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.; On the complexity of scheduling in
wireless systems, Mobicom 2006, Los Angeles, Sept. 2006
- Sharma, G., Mazumdar, R. and Shroff, N.; Delay
2006, Barcelona, April 2006. Best Paper
- Karnik, A., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg, C.; Rate control and dynamic dimensioning of
wireless networks, to be presented at the Conference of
Sciences and Systems, Princeton, March 2006.
- Sharma, G. and Mazumdar, R.; Hybrid
world, Mobihoc 2005, Urbana, June 2005.
- Y. Ying, R. Mazumdar, C. Rosenberg, and F.
Guillemin; The burstiness behavior of regulated flows in
networks, Networking 2005, May 2005, to appear.
- Lee, J-W.,
Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N.B.;
Opportunistic scheduling for wireless ad-hoc networks,
San Jose, Oct. 2004
- Nurdin, H., Mazumdar, R. R., and Bagchi, A.; On estimation and compression of
correlated signals with incomplete observations,
of Networks and Systems (MTNS 2004), Leuven, Belgium, July
- Sharma, G. and Mazumdar, R. R.; Scaling laws
capacity and delay in ad hoc wireless networks with random
2004, Paris, June 2004.
- Sharma, G. and Mazumdar, R.; On Achievable
Delay/Capacity Trade-offs in Mobile
Ad Hoc Networks, WiOpt 2004, Conference on Wireless Networks
Optimization, Cambridge, UK, March 2004.
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.;
Opportunistic power scheduling for multi-server wireless
minimum performance constraints, Infocom 2004, Hong Kong.
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.;
Non-convexity Issues for
Control with Multi-class Services: Stability and Optimality,
Infocom 2004, Hong Kong.
- V. Mhatre, C. Rosenberg, D. Kofman, R.
and N. Shroff, Design of Surveillance Sensor Grids with a
Constraints, 1st European Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks
Berlin, Jan 2004. (a pdf version of the paper can be found at:
- Dube, P., Guillemin, F. and Mazumdar, R.; Scale functions of Levy processes and busy
distributions of finite dam M/G/1 queues, invited paper
Conference, Illinois, Oct. 2003.
- Ozturk, O., Mazumdar, R. and Likhanov,
N.; Many sources
asymptotics for a
feedforward network with small buffers, Proceedings of
Conference 2002, Montecello, Ill. , Oct. 2002 (pdf)
- Lee, J-W., Mazumdar, R. and Shroff,
N.B.; Downlink power
CDMA wireless networks, Proceedings of the INFOCOM'2002,
June 2002 (pdf).
- Guillemin, F., Likhanov, N., Mazumdar, R.
Rosenberg, C.; Extremal
bounds on the mean delay of multiplexed regulated traffic
- Guillemin, F. and Mazumdar, R.; Extremal
and bounds on the loss probability in buffers fed with
traffic, Proceedings of the Allerton Conference (Invited
Allerton, Montecello, Ill, Oct. 2001
- Kotopoulos, C., Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar,
Overflow asymptotics in GPS systems with heterogeneous
inputs, Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM'2001, Anchorage, April
- Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar, R.; Loss in large
buffers with heterogeneous longtailed sources, Proceedings of
INFOCOM'2000, Tel Aviv.
- Yaiche, H., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg, C.;
Distributed algorithms for fair bandwidth allocation in
networks, Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM'2000, Tel Aviv.
- Delas, S., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg; Cell
asymptotics in large buffers with HOL service, Proceedings of
- Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar, R.; Cell loss
characteristics in buffers handling a large number of
sources, IEEE INFOCOM'98, San Francisco, March1998. Runner-up
Grants and Contracts
Past Grants and Contracts (since
- Orange (France), CROP Grant (Low Latency Architectures
for 5G)- 2020-2023.
- NSERC Discovery Grant (Complex Networks), 2020-2025
- Addictive Mobility, Toronto (with P. Marbach). Algorithms
for online in-app bidding. 2017-2020
- NSERC CRD (On-line bidding algorithms for mobile
applications) (with P. Marbach)2017-2020
- OCE VIP II (with P. Marbach) (Building a prototype of
algorithm for in-app bidding) 2017-2019
- NSERC Discovery Grant (Network Science) 2016-2020
- ARO (Army Research Office) SBIR Grant on Causal Networks,
- NSERC Discovery Grant, Network Science: Theory and
- NSERC CRD Grant (with P. Mitran and C. Rosenberg):
"Design and performance of heterogeneous networks", 2011-2014.
- NSERC Strategic Grant (with P. Mitran and C. Rosenberg),
Theory and Practice of Opportunistic Spectrum Sharing,
- NSERC CRD + OCE with GM Research (with C. Rosenberg):
- NSERC Strategic Grant (with S. Garg, H. Patel and S.
"Scalable Cross-layer Resource Management and Optimization of
Computing Platforms", 2011-2014
research funds from Research in Motion (RIM).
- France Telecom-CNET,
Subvention Thematique, Control d'acces, debits equivalents
performances des reseaux a hauts debits (Admision control,
bandwidth and performance of high speed networks),
Networking Research Program, A game theoretic approach to
allocation and pricing in broadband networks (with C.
Foundation), A traffic based approach to network security
Rosenberg and E. Coyle), 2000-2001
Traffic issues in networks (with C. Rosenberg and N. Shroff),
Networking Research Program, A measurement-analytic framework
design and control of next generation networks (with E. Chong,
Rosenberg and N. Shroff), 2001-2004
Research Program, Implications of longtailed traffic in
Analysis, measurement and management, 2001-2004
Discovery Grant, Fundamental Issues in the Analysis and
Design of Multihop Wireless Networks, 2005-2010
University Laboratories (BUL) (with C. Rosenberg), Access
protocols for wireless mesh networks, 2005-2008
CRD, (with C. Rosenberg), Routing and medium access in
wireless mesh networks, 2005-2008
Strategic Grant (with C. Rosenberg (Waterloo), J. Liebeherr
(Toronto), P. Marbach (Toronto)), Resource management
adaptive networks: Fundamental limits, tradeoffs and enabling
Past and Current Students and
- Christos Douligeris (PhD
Columbia), June 1989. Currently Professor, Dept.
of Computer Science, University of Pireaus,
- Raghavan Kannurpatti (PhD
Columbia) June 1991. Deceased. Formerly, Assistant
Institute of Technology, Delhi, India.
- Vivek Badrinath (INRS), 1992. Formerly
Deputy CEO, Orange (France Telecom), Paris. Currently
Africa, Middle East, and Asia Pacific, Vodafone, London, UK
- Pawel Gazdzicki, June 1992,
- Francois Theberge, April 1996. Recipient
the first Fessenden Prize
for the most outstanding doctoral thesis
Communications awarded by Natural Sciences and Engineering
Canada. Currently with the Communications Security
Establishment and Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics,
U of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
- Rob Dijkerman, PhD (INRS) Sept. 1994.
Currently, Technical Director, Alcatel-Lucent, Ottawa,
- Pedro-Ivan Sanchez, PhD (INRS) June
1996. Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River, Ottawa,
- Kitsofe Kwadjo, MScA (INRS) June
- Dr. Catherine Rainer, Post-doc 1996 -
1997. Professor, Laboratoire de Mathematique,Universite de
Brest, Brest, France.
- M. Bitsaki, MSc (Essex) 1998. Currently,
FORTH, Crete, Greece.
- Constantinos Kotopoulos, PhD
in Mathematics, Sept 2001 (Essex, UK). Currently with
Consulting, Athens, Greece.
- Ozcan Ozturk, PhD (Purdue)
Dec. 2003. Member of Technical Staff, Qualcomm, San Diego,
- Jang Won Lee, PhD (Purdue) May 2004
N. Shroff). Professor of ECE, Yonsei University, Korea
- Francisco Piera, PhD
Nov 2005. Asst. Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering,
of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Yu Ying, PhD
June 2006 (co-supervised with C. Rosenberg). Member of
Juniper, Cupertino, Ca., USA
- Gaurav Sharma, PhD (Purdue)
Nov. 2006. Vice President, D.E. Shaw and Co., NY, USA
- Ilter Saygin, MS
2004. Currently, Financial Engineer, NY, USA
- Hengameh Keshavarz,
(Waterloo) Sept 2008, (co-supervised with Dr. L-L. Xie),
Assistant Professor, University of Sistan and Baluchistan,
- Kexin Ma, MASc
Waterloo. Current affiliation: Qualcomm, San Diego, USA
- Oleg Smolyanov, MASc
2007, (Mathematical finance) (co-supervised with Dr. A.
Current affiliation: Quantitative Analyst with
International Investors (
hedge fund) in
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Sameh Gabrail, MASc
2008, Docker Inc, Canada
- Dr. Long Le,
Post-doctoral Scholar. Professor, INRS-EMT, Montreal,
- Jean-Paul Haddad, PhD
(Waterloo) 2011. Manager, Office of the
Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada, Toronto.
- Syamantak Datta Gupta,
MASc Jun. 2009. PhD 2013 (Waterloo). Morgan Stanley,
- Sharad Birmiwal, PhD
Waterloo, June 2012. Arista Networks, Richmond, BC.
- Sesha Sayee, (PhD IISc
doctoral scholar (2008-10).Center of Excellence for
Wireless Technology (CEWiT), Chennai, India.
- Z. Chen, MScA 2008.
- M. Agatonovic, MASc
- F. Zoghalchi, MASc
Waterloo, 2012. Currently : PhD student , Dept of
Mathematics University of Toronto.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, PhD
Waterloo Jan. 2016. Assistant Professor, Dept of Computer
Science, University of Warwick, UK. Winner of the first ITC
Rising Scholar Award, 2018.
Barjesteh, MScA Waterloo, 2012 (co-supervised with C.
(U of Chicago 2020). Assistant Professor, Rotman School of
University of Toronto, Canada.
Vasantam (MS IISc 2014), PhD Nov. 2019. Currently a
post-doc in Dept.
of Computer Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst,
- R. Rishikesh (PhD
Math, U Waterloo), Post-doc 2013-14. Currently with Morgan
Stanley, Montreal, Canada.
- M. Agarwal (PhD MIT
2010), Post-doctoral scholar, 6/2014-11/2014.
- K. Swamy (PhD IISc
2014), Post-doc, September 2014-June 2015. Currently with
Qualcomm, Bangalore, India.
- B. Santhana (PhD IIT
Bombay 2015), Post-doc 2015-2016.
- Ryan Kinnear (MASc,
Waterloo 2017), PhD student since Fall 2017. NSERC
Alexander G. Bell scholar.
- R. Meshram (PhD, IIT
Bombay 2017), Post-doc 1/2018-9/2018.
- S. Ghanbarian (MS,
Sharif). Phd student since 1/2019.
- S. Taneja (MSc, ISER,
Mohali, India), Phd student since 5/2019.
- J. Eisen (BASc,
Queens), MASc student (co-supervised with P. Mitran) since