|Ravi R. Mazumdar
and University Research Chair
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
mazum AT uwaterloo.ca
Ph: +1-519-888 4567 Ext. 37444
Fax: 1-519-746 3077
Ravi Mazumdar was born in Bangalore, India. He obtained
the B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology,
Bombay, India in 1977, the M.Sc. DIC in Control Systems from Imperial College, London, U.K. in 1978
and the Ph.D. in Systems Science from the University of California, Los Angeles,
In 1978-79 he was employed with GEC Electrical
Projects Ltd., Rugby, U.K. From April 1983-Oct. 1983 he was a Member of
Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, N.J. He has held
visiting appointments at UCLA (1983-84),University of Twente, Enschede,
The Netherlands (Fall 1984), Indian
Science, Bangalore (Fall 1994) and the Ecole Nationale Superieure des
Telecommunications, Paris (1995). From 1985-1988 he was an
Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University, New York
where he was also a member of the Center for Telecommunications
Research. From 1988-96 he was a Professor at INRS-Telecommunications,
well as held an invited appointment in the Department of
Electrical Engineering, McGill
University, Montreal. In September 1996 he joined the Department of
Mathematics, University of Essex,
Colchester, U.K. as Professor of Stochastic Systems and Operational
Research. From 1999-2004 he was Professor of Electrical and Computer
Engineering at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA. In the
Fall of 2004 he joined the University of Waterloo as Professor and
holder of a University Research Chair.
He has been a consultant ("expert scientifique")
January 1994 to September 1996. He has been and is involved in many
conferences including IEEE INFOCOM, International Teletraffic Congress
(ITC) and IFIP Broadband Communication.
He was elected IEEE Fellow for
"contributions to modeling, control, and performance analysis of
networks". He is also a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society and
member of the working groups
WG6.3 and 7.1 of IFIP. He has received Best Paper Awards at Performance
2015 (Sydney), the International Teletraffic Congress 2015
(ITC27-Ghent), the IEEE INFOCOM2006 (Barcelona) and received the
Runner-up award at INFOCOM 1998 (San Francisco).
- Applied Probability
- Stochastic Analysis
- Stochastic control
- Optimization and game theory
- Statistical inference and filtering
- Wireline and wireless networks
- Queueing theory
- Network science
- Stochastic Networks
- Nonlinear filtering
- High dimensional statistics and causal inference
- Random interacting particle systems
- Information theory
- ECE 342 Signals and Systems
- ECE 316 Probability and Random
Variables (Winter: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014)
- ECE 603 Statistical Signal Processing (Fall 2014)
- ECE 604 Stochastic Processes (Fall: 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011,2013, 2015, 2017)
- ECE 605 Advanced Queueing Theory (Winter: 2009, 2012, 2018)
- ECE 610 Computer Networks (Winter 2019)
- ECE 710 Estimation Theory
- ECE 710 Markov
models and random
algorithms for learning (Fall 2010)
- ECE/STAT 784/902 Introduction to Stochastic Calculus (Winter: 2017, 2019)
Performance Modeling, Loss Networks, and
Statistical Multiplexing, Morgan and Claypool, San Francisco (2010).
The second edition was entitled Performance Modeling, Stochastic Networks, and Statistical Multiplexing (2013) to reflect the expanded scope. The monograph can be downloaded for free if your university subscribes
to the series. It
is available in two formats. As an e-book or in paperback that can be
ordered from Amazon.com. It is suitable for a graduate course on
performance analysis and modeling of communication networks.
Publications (2000-)( here is a
Papers in Edited Volumes
Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R.R. Mazumdar,Insensitivity of the
mean-field limit of loss systems under SQ(d) routing, Advances in
Applied Probability, 2019, to appear.
Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R.R. Mazumdar; The Mean-field Behavior
of Processor Sharing Systems with General Job Lengths Under the SQ(d)
Policy. Performance Evaluation (PEVA) , Volumes 127-128, 2018, pp. 120-153
- A. Karthik, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R. R. Mazumdar, Choosing among heterogeneous server clouds, Queueing Systems,Vol. 85 (1-2), 2017, pp. 1-29. DOI 10.1007/s11134-016-9488-8
Mukhopadhyay, A. Karthik, and R. R. Mazumdar; Randomized Assignment of
Jobs to Servers in Heterogeneous Clusters of Shared Servers for Low
Delay, Stochastic Systems, Vol 6 (1), 2016, pp.90-131. Available from arXiv:1502.05786v1
- S. Birmiwal, R. R. Mazumdar, and S. Sundaram, Pricing in Processor Sharing Systems, Telecommunication Systems, Vol. 63 (3), 2016, pp. 421-435.
- J. Etminan, H. Keshavarz, and R. R. Mazumdar,
Effects of Shadowing on the Number of Active Users in Random
Multi-User Channels, Wireless Networks, Vol 22 (8), 2016, pp.2501-2509.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, A. Karthik, R. R. Mazumdar and
F. Guillemin: Mean field and propagation of chaos in multi-class
heterogeneous loss models, Performance Evaluation (PEVA), Vol. 91, (2015) pp. 117-131. Performance 2015 Best Paper Award. Corrected Version.
- A. Mukhopadhyay and R. R. Mazumdar, Analysis of Load Balancing in Large Heterogeneous Processor Sharing Systems, IEEE Trans on Control of Networked Systems (TCNS), Vol. 3 (2), 2016, pp. 116-126. DOI 10.1109/TCNS.2015.2428331,
Guillemin and R. R. Mazumdar; Conditional sojourn times and
applications to volatility of payment schemes in bandwidth sharing
networks, J. of Applied Probability, Volume 52, Issue 4
2015 , pp. 962-980
Kamath, D. Manjunath, and R. R. Mazumdar; On Distributed Function
Computation in Structure-Free Random Wireless Networks, IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol 60 (1), 2014, pp. 432-442
- S. Datta Gupta, R. R. Mazumdar, and P. W. Glynn;
On the Convergence of the Spectrum of Finite Order Approximations of
Stationary Time Series, J of Multivariate Analysis, 121 (2013), pp. 1-21.
- S. Kompalli and R. R. Mazumdar; On the Stability Slotted-Aloha Protocolwith
Finite Number of Queues, IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. 59 (10), 2013, pp. 6357-6366.
- J-P. Haddad and R. R. Mazumdar, Congestion in
large balanced fair systems, Queueing Systems (QUESTA) Special Issue on
Network Asymptotics, Vol. 74 (2), 2013, pp. 333-368
- J-P. Haddad and R. R. Mazumdar; Stationary distributions in
networks with Levy inputs in heavy traffic, QUESTA, Vol 70(1), 2012, pp. 3-21.
- A. V. Balakrishnan and R. R. Mazumdar, On Powers of
Gaussian White Noise, IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol 57 (11), 2011, pp. 7629-7634.
Haddad, R. R. Mazumdar, and F. J. Piera, Pathwise comparison theorems
for stochastic fluid networks, Queueing
(QUESTA), Vol. 66, 2010, pp. 155-168
- G. Sharma,
C. Joo, N. Shroff, and R.R. Mazumdar; On the Complexity of Scheduling
in Wireless Networks, Special Issue on "Adaptive Cross-Layer
Strategies for Fourth Generation Wireless Communications", EURASIP J. of Wireless Communications and
Networking, 2010, doi:10.1155/2010/418934.
- G. Sharma,
C. Joo, N. B. Shroff, and R. R. Mazumdar, Joint Congestion Control and
Distributed Scheduling for Throughput Guarantees in Wireless Networks,
Special Issue on Cross-layer Modeling and Simulation, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer
Simulation, Vol. 21, No. 1, Dec. 2010, pp. 5.1-5.25.
- L. Le and
R. R. Mazumdar; Control
of Wireless Networks with Flow
Level Dynamics under Constant Time Scheduling, ACM Wireless Networks, 2009, Vol.
16 (5), 2010, pp. 1355-1372.
Keshavarz, R. R. Mazumdar, and L.L Xie; User Capacity Scaling Laws for
Fading Multiple-Access Channels, IEEE
Wireless, 2009, Vol. 8 (9), 2009, pp. 4498-4507.
P. Mhatre, C. P. Rosenberg, and R. R. Mazumdar; On the capacity of ad
hoc networks under random packet losses, IEEE
Vol 55 (6), 2009,
Nurdin, R. R. Mazumdar, and A. Bagchi; Reduced-Dimension
Linear Transform Coding of Distributed Correlated Signals with
Incomplete Observations, IEEE
Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. 55 (6), 2009, pp. 2848-2859.
- F. Piera and R. R. Mazumdar; Comparison
of Probability (EJP),
Vol 13, October 2008, paper 61, pp1886-1908.
- F. Piera, R. R. Mazumdar and F. Guillemin, Boundary
dependent reflections, Advances
Vol. 40(2), 2008, pp. 529-547.
- H. Keshavarz, L.L. Xie, and R. Mazumdar; On the optimal number of active receivers
in fading broadcast channels; IEEE
Th, Vol. 54, No 3, 2008, pp. 1323-1327.
- F. Piera, R. R. Mazumdar, and F. M. Guillemin;
Existence and characterization of product-form distributions for
state-dependent stochastic networks in the heavy-traffic diffusion
limit, Queueing Systems (QUESTA),
Vol. 58 (1), 2008, pp 3-27.
- Y. Ying, F. Guillemin, R. Mazumdar, and C.
overflow asymptotics for multiplexed regulated traffic, Performance Evaluation, Vol. 65
(8), 2008, pp. 555-572.
- G. Sharma and R. R. Mazumdar; A Case for Hybrid Sensor
Networks, IEEE/ACM Trans. on
Networking, Vol 16 (8), 2008 , pp. 1121-1132
- G. Sharma, R. R. Mazumdar, and N.B. Shroff; Delay and
Capacity Trade-offs in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: A Global Perspective, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, 2007,
- F. Guillemin, R. Mazumdar, C. Rosenberg, and Y.
Ying; Stochastic ordering property for leaky
bucket regulated flows in packet networks, J. of Applied Probability, Vol. 44
(2), 2007, pp 331-347
- J.-W. Lee, R. R. Mazumdar, and N. B. Shroff, Joint
opportunistic power scheduling and rate control for wireless ad-hoc
networks, IEEE Transactions on
Vehicular Technology, Vol. 56, No. 2, 2007, pp.277-2784
- Piera, F.,
Mazumdar, R. R., and Guillemin, F.M.; On
times and boundary properties of reflected diffusions with jumps in the
positive orthant, Markov
Processes and Related Fields, 12(3), 2006, pp. 561-582.
- X. Lin, G. Sharma, R. Mazumdar, and N. Shroff;
delay/capacity tradeoffs in ad hoc networks with Brownian mobility, IEEE Trans. on Information Theory,
Special Issue on Networking and
Information Theory, 52 (6), 2006, pp. 2777-2784.
- Likhanov, N. B., Mazumdar, R., and M. N.
Nakarykov; Overflow asymptotics for continuous time models, Information
Processes (in Russian), 2005, vol.5, no.3, pp.227-235.
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N.B;
Opportunistic power scheduling in wireless systems, IEEE Trans. on
Wireless Networks, Vol 5 (6), 2006, pp. 1506-1515
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N.B.;
Joint resource allocation and base-station
assignment for the downlink in CDMA networks, IEEE/ACM Trans on Networking, 14
(1), 2006, pp. 4-15
- Piera, F., Mazumdar, R. R. , and Guillemin, F. M.; On
distributions for reflected diffusions with jumps in the positive
orthant, Adv. Applied Prob.,
Vol 37 (1), 2005, pp. 212-228.
- Lee, J-W., Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N. B.;
Non-convex Optimization and Rate Control for Multi-class Services in
Internet, IEEE/ACM Trans. on
Networking, Vol. 13 (4), 2005, pp. 841-853
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R.R., and Shroff, N.B.;
Downlink power allocation for multi-class wireless systems, IEEE/ACM
Trans. on Networking, Vol 13 (4), 2005, pp. 854-867
- Dube, P. Guillemin, F., and Mazumdar, R.R.; Scale
functions of Levy Processes and Busy Periods of Finite Capacity M/GI/1
queues, J. of Applied Prob.,
- Mhatre, V., Rosenberg, C., Kofman, D., Mazumdar,
R., and Shroff, N. B.; A Minimum Cost Heterogeneous Sensor
Network with a Lifetime Constraint, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing,
2005, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp 4-15
- Guillemin, F. and
Mazumdar, R.; Rate conservation laws for multidimensional processes of
bounded variation with applications to priority queueing systems, Methodology
Probability, Vol. 6, 2004, pp. 136-159.
- Ozturk, O., Mazumdar, R. R., and Likhanov, N.;
Many sources asymptotics in networks with small buffers, Queueing
Systems (QUESTA), Vol. 46, Nos. 1-2, 2004, pp.129-147
- Likhanov, N., Mazumdar, R. and Ozturk, O.;
Large buffer asymptotics for fluid queues with heterogeneous M/G/infty
Weibullian inputs, QUESTA, Vol. 45, 2003, pp. 333-356.
- Guillemin, F., Mazumdar, R., Dupuis,
A. and Boyer, J.; Analysis of the fluid weighted fair queueing
system, Journal of Applied Probability, 40
- Delas, S., Mazumdar, R. R., and Rosenberg, C.;
Tail asymptotics for HOL priority queues handling a large number of
independent stationary sources, Queueing Systems (QUESTA),
- Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar, R.; Loss in large
buffers fed by a heterogeneous long-tailed sources, Advances in
Applied Probability, Vol. 32, No. 4, Dec. 2000, pp. 1168-1189
- Yaiche, H., Mazumdar, R. R. and Rosenberg, C.;
game-theoretic framework for bandwidth allocation and pricing in
broadband networks, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, Vol.
No. 5, Oct. 2000, pp. 667-678.
Other Papers (Submitted or in
- J-P. Haddad and R. R. Mazumdar, On the validity of heavy
traffic stationary distributions in stochastic networks with Levy
inputs, ValueTools 2009, Pisa, Oct. 2009.
- S. Kompalli and R. R. Mazumdar, On a positive recurrence
criterion for multidimensional Markov chains with application to the
stability of slotted-Aloha with a finite number of queues, Proceedings
of the International Teletraffic Congress, ITC-21, Paris, Sept. 2009.
- Likhanov, N. , Mazumdar, R. R. and Theberge, F.; Providing QoS in Large Networks: Statistical
multiplexing and admission control, in Analysis, Control and
Optimization of Complex Dynamic Systems , E.K. Boukas,
R. Malhame eds., Kluwer,
- Guillemin, F.M., Likhanov, N., Mazumdar, R.R., Rosenberg, C.
P., and Ying, Y.; Buffer overflow
bounds for multiplexed regulated traffic streams, in
QoS in Heterogeneous Environments, International Teletraffic
Congress 18, Elsevier science, July 2003 (pdf).
- Yaiche, H., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg, C.; A
game theoretic framework for bandwidth allocation and pricing of ABR
services in ATM networks,in Broadband'98, P. Kuehn, R. Ulrich
eds.; Chapman and Hall, 1998.
- Theberge, F., Guillemin, F. and Mazumdar, R.;
Modelling and performance of ATM ABT with delayed transmission, in Teletraffic
age, 15th ITC ,Washington, D.C.,
V. Ramaswami and P. E. Wirth eds., Elsevier Science, 1997,pp.435-444.
- H. Keshavarz, R.R. Mazumdar, R. Roy, and F. Zoghalchi, On the number of active links in random wireless networks, IEEE Trans. on Communications, submitted Dec 2014. Available from arxiv http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.3098
Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, Determining the Granger-causality Graph
among Time Series via Filtering Techniques, in preparation.
- O. Ozturk, R. R. Mazumdar, and N. B. Likhanov, Buffer
occupancy asymptotics in rate proportional sharing networks with
heterogeneous long-tailed inputs, Stochastic Systems, submitted Nov. 2014. Available from: http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.2867
- O. Ozturk and R. R. Mazumdar, End-to-end estimates for loss
in large networks of GPS servers with small buffers, unpublished. (pdf)
- Sharma, G. and
Mazumdar, R. R.; Delay and capacity tradeoffs
for wireless ad hoc
networks with random mobility, unpublished 2004..
- Dube, P. and Mazumdar, R.; A framework for the quickest detection of
traffic anomalies in networks, unpublished, 2001 (pdf)
- Kotopoulos, C. and Mazumdar, R.; Buffer occupancy and delay asymptotics in
multi-buffered systems with GPS handling a large number of independent
traffic streams, unpublished, March 2002 (pdf).
Vasantam and R.R. Mazumdar, Fluctuations around the mean-field for a
large scale Erlang Loss system under SQ(d) load balancing, ITC-31,
Budapest, August 2019, to appear.
- F. M.
Guillemin, R. R. Mazumdar, C. Rosenberg, and Y. Ying, Network Calculus
for Mean Delay Analysis through a Network, Workshop on Network Calculus
NetCal, Vienna, September, 2018.
Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, and R. R. Mazumdar, The Mean-field Behavior
of Processor Sharing Systems with General Job Lengths Under the SQ(d)
Policy, Performance 2018, Toulouse, Dec 2018.
- T. Vasantam and R. R. Mazumdar; On occupancy based
randomized routing schemes in large systems of shared servers,
Proceedings ITC 30, Vienna, Sept. 2018.
- R. Kinnear
and R.R. Mazumdar, Sparse Granger-Causal Network Learning via the Depth
Wise Group LASSO -- An Application of ADMM for Large Vector
Autoregressions, in Contributions to Statistics, Proceedings of the
Conference on Time Series, Granada, Spain, Sept. 2017.
- T. Vasantam, A. Mukhopadhyay, R. R. Mazumdar, ``Mean Field
Analysis of Loss Models with Mixed-Erlang Distributions under
Power-of-d Routing", 29th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC 29),
2017, Genoa, Italy.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, R. R. Mazumdar, and R. Roy, Binary
Opinion Dynamics with Biased Agents and Agents with Different Degrees
of Stubbornness, International Teletraffic Congress ITC-28, Wurzburg,
Germany, September 2016.
- T. Vasantam, R.R. Mazumdar and A. Mukhopadhyay,
Insensitivity of the mean field in power of d routing in loss systems
with phase type distributions, European Conference on Queueing Theory,
Toulouse, July 16-18, 2016.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, R. Mazumdar, and R. Roy, Majority Rule
Based Opinion Dynamics with Biased and Stubborn Agents,
Sigmetrics/Performance 2016, Juan-les-Pins, June 2016.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, A. Karthik, R.R. Mazumdar and F.
Guillemin, Mean field and propagation of chaos in multiclass
heterogeneous loss models, IFIP WG 7.3 Performance 2015, Oct. 19-21, 2015, Sydney. Best Paper Award
- A. Mukhopadhyay, R.R. Mazumdar and F. Guillemin: The power
of randomized routing in heterogeneous loss systems, International
Teletraffic Congress (ITC 27), Ghent. Sept. 8-10, 2015. Best Paper Award.
- A. Mukhopadhyay and R. Mazumdar, Randomized Routing
Schemes for Large Processor SharingSystems with Multiple Service Rates,
ACM Sigmetrics, Austin, TX, June 17-19, 2014
- A. Mukhopadhyay and R. Mazumdar, Rate-Based Randomized
Routing in Large Heterogeneous Processor Sharing Systems, Proceedings
of the International Tletraffic Congress, ITC 26, Karlskrona, Sweden,
September 9-11, 2014.
- S. Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, Granger-Causality Among
Cyclostationary Time Series Through Time-invariant Estimators,
International work-conference on Time Series-ITISE 2014 .June, 25-27,
2014. Granada (SPAIN)
- S. Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, A Frequency-domain Lasso approach for Detecting Interdependence Relations amongTime Series, International work-conference on Time Series-ITISE 2014 .June, 25-27, 2014. Granada (SPAIN)
- S. Datta Gupta and R. R. Mazumdar, Inferring Causality
in Networks of WSS Time Series by Pairwise Estimation Methods,
Proceedings of ITA 2013, San Diego, Jan. 2013.
- S. Birmiwal, R. R. Mazumdar, and S. Sundaram, Processor
Sharing and Pricing Implications, Proceedings of the ITC 24, Cracow,
Poland, Sept. 2012.
- S. Birmiwal, U. Nair, D. Manjunath, and R. R. Mazumdar, Delay
Minimization in Multihop Wireless Networks: Static Scheduling Does It,
Proceedings of WiOpt 2012, June 2012.
- S. Birmiwal, R. R. Mazumdar, and S. Sundaram; Insensitive
Resource Allocation and Pricing, submitted proceedings of CISS,
Princeton, March 2012.
- S. Datta Gupta, R. R. Mazumdar, and P.W. Glynn; On the
Asymptotic Behavior of the Spectral Density of Autoregressive
Estimates, Proceedings of the 2011 Allerton Conference, Sept. 2011.
- T. Bonald, J-P. Haddad, and R.R. Mazumdar, Congestion
in Large Balanced Multirate Links, ITC 2011, San Francisco, Sept 2011,
- L. Le and R. R. Mazumdar; Appropriate Control of Wireless
Networks with Flow Level Dynamics, CISS08, Princeton, N.J., March 2008.
- H. Keshavarz, R. R. Mazumdar, and L-L.Xie; Maximum Number of
Active Links in Wireless Networks with Fading Channels, Information
Theory and Applications (ITA08), San Diego, Jan 2008.
- H. Keshavarz, L-L. Xie, and R. R. Mazumdar; User Capacity of Fading
Multi-User Channels with a Minimum Rate Constraint. Proc. ICC08,
Beijing, May 2008.
- K. Ma, R. R. Mazumdar, and J. Luo; On
the performance of primal/dual schemes for congestion control in
networks with dynamic flows, INFOCOM 2008.
- Sharma, G., Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.; Joint Congestion
Networks, IEEE INFOCOM 2007.
- Sharma, G., Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.; On the complexity of scheduling in multihop
wireless systems, Mobicom 2006, Los Angeles, Sept. 2006
- Sharma, G., Mazumdar, R. and Shroff, N.; Delay
Perspective, IEEE INFOCOM
2006, Barcelona, April 2006. Best Paper
- Karnik, A., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg, C.; Rate control and dynamic dimensioning of multihop
wireless networks, to be presented at the Conference of Information
Sciences and Systems, Princeton, March 2006.
- Sharma, G. and Mazumdar, R.; Hybrid
world, Mobihoc 2005, Urbana, June 2005.
- Y. Ying, R. Mazumdar, C. Rosenberg, and F.
Guillemin; The burstiness behavior of regulated flows in
networks, Networking 2005, May 2005, to appear.
- Lee, J-W.,
Mazumdar, R. R., and Shroff, N.B.;
Opportunistic scheduling for wireless ad-hoc networks, BroadWise 2004,
San Jose, Oct. 2004
- Nurdin, H., Mazumdar, R. R., and Bagchi, A.; On estimation and compression of distributed
correlated signals with incomplete observations, Mathematical
of Networks and Systems (MTNS 2004), Leuven, Belgium, July 2004.
- Sharma, G. and Mazumdar, R. R.; Scaling laws for
capacity and delay in ad hoc wireless networks with random mobility,
2004, Paris, June 2004.
- Sharma, G. and Mazumdar, R.; On Achievable
Delay/Capacity Trade-offs in Mobile
Ad Hoc Networks, WiOpt 2004, Conference on Wireless Networks and
Optimization, Cambridge, UK, March 2004.
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.;
Opportunistic power scheduling for multi-server wireless systems with
minimum performance constraints, Infocom 2004, Hong Kong.
- Lee, J-W, Mazumdar, R., and Shroff, N.; Non-convexity Issues for Internet Rate
Control with Multi-class Services: Stability and Optimality,
Infocom 2004, Hong Kong.
- V. Mhatre, C. Rosenberg, D. Kofman, R. Mazumdar,
and N. Shroff, Design of Surveillance Sensor Grids with a
Constraints, 1st European Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks
Berlin, Jan 2004. (a pdf version of the paper can be found at: http://dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu/~cath/publications.html)
- Dube, P., Guillemin, F. and Mazumdar, R.; Scale functions of Levy processes and busy period
distributions of finite dam M/G/1 queues, invited paper Allerton
Conference, Illinois, Oct. 2003.
- Ozturk, O., Mazumdar, R. and Likhanov, N.; Many sources asymptotics for a
feedforward network with small buffers, Proceedings of the Allerton
Conference 2002, Montecello, Ill. , Oct. 2002 (pdf)
- Lee, J-W., Mazumdar, R. and Shroff, N.B.;
Downlink power allocation for
CDMA wireless networks, Proceedings of the INFOCOM'2002,
June 2002 (pdf).
- Guillemin, F., Likhanov, N., Mazumdar, R. and
Rosenberg, C.; Extremal traffic and
bounds on the mean delay of multiplexed regulated traffic streams,
- Guillemin, F. and Mazumdar, R.; Extremal
and bounds on the loss probability in buffers fed with regulated
traffic, Proceedings of the Allerton Conference (Invited paper),
Allerton, Montecello, Ill, Oct. 2001
- Kotopoulos, C., Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar, R.;
Overflow asymptotics in GPS systems with heterogeneous longtailed
inputs, Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM'2001, Anchorage, April 2001
- Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar, R.; Loss in large
buffers with heterogeneous longtailed sources, Proceedings of the IEEE
INFOCOM'2000, Tel Aviv.
- Yaiche, H., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg, C.;
Distributed algorithms for fair bandwidth allocation in broadband
networks, Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM'2000, Tel Aviv.
- Delas, S., Mazumdar, R. and Rosenberg; Cell
asymptotics in large buffers with HOL service, Proceedings of the IEEE
- Likhanov, N. and Mazumdar, R.; Cell loss
characteristics in buffers handling a large number of stationary
sources, IEEE INFOCOM'98, San Francisco, March1998. Runner-up Best Paper
Grants and Contracts
Past Grants and Contracts (since 2000):
- NSERC CRD (On-line bidding algorithms for mobile applications) 2017-2020
- OCE VIP II (Building a prototype of algorithm for in-app bidding) 2017-2019
- NSERC Discovery Grant (Network Science) 2016-2020
- ARO (Army Research Office) SBIR Grant on Causal Networks, 2016-2017.
- NSERC Discovery Grant, Network Science: Theory and Algorithms, 2010-2015.
- NSERC CRD Grant (with P. Mitran and C. Rosenberg): "Design and performance of heterogeneous networks", 2011-2014.
- NSERC Strategic Grant (with P. Mitran and C. Rosenberg), Theory and Practice of Opportunistic Spectrum Sharing, 2009-2012.
- NSERC CRD + OCE with GM Research (with C. Rosenberg): 2008-2012
- NSERC Strategic Grant (with S. Garg, H. Patel and S. Sundaram),
"Scalable Cross-layer Resource Management and Optimization of Cloud
Computing Platforms", 2011-2014
- Other research funds from Research in Motion (RIM).
- France Telecom-CNET,
Subvention Thematique, Control d'acces, debits equivalents et
performances des reseaux a hauts debits (Admision control, equivalent
bandwidth and performance of high speed networks), 1998-2000.
- NSF, Advanced
Networking Research Program, A game theoretic approach to bandwidth
allocation and pricing in broadband networks (with C. Rosenberg),
- CERIAS (Lilly
Foundation), A traffic based approach to network security (with C.
Rosenberg and E. Coyle), 2000-2001
- NORTEL Networks,
Traffic issues in networks (with C. Rosenberg and N. Shroff), 2000-2004
- NSF, Advanced
Networking Research Program, A measurement-analytic framework for the
design and control of next generation networks (with E. Chong, C.
Rosenberg and N. Shroff), 2001-2004
- NSF, Networking
Research Program, Implications of longtailed traffic in networks:
Analysis, measurement and management, 2001-2004
- NSERC Discovery Grant, Fundamental Issues in the Analysis and
Design of Multihop Wireless Networks, 2005-2010
- Bell University Laboratories (BUL) (with C. Rosenberg), Access
protocols for wireless mesh networks, 2005-2008
- NSERC CRD, (with C. Rosenberg), Routing and medium access in
wireless mesh networks, 2005-2008
- NSERC Strategic Grant (with C. Rosenberg (Waterloo), J. Liebeherr
(Toronto), P. Marbach (Toronto)), Resource management for
adaptive networks: Fundamental limits, tradeoffs and enabling
Past and Current Students and
- Christos Douligeris (PhD Columbia), June 1989. Currently Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Pireaus,
- Raghavan Kannurpatti (PhD
Columbia) June 1991. Deceased. Formerly, Assistant Professor, Indian
Institute of Technology, Delhi, India.
- Vivek Badrinath (INRS), 1992. Formerly
Deputy CEO, Orange (France Telecom), Paris. Currently Regional-CEO for
Africa, Middle East, and Asia Pacific, Vodafone, London, UK
- Pawel Gazdzicki, June 1992,
- Francois Theberge, April 1996. Recipient of
the first Fessenden Prize for the most outstanding doctoral thesis
Communications awarded by Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of
Canada. Currently with the Communications Security Establishment and Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics,
U of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
- Rob Dijkerman, PhD (INRS) Sept. 1994.
Currently, Technical Director, Alcatel-Lucent, Ottawa, Canada
- Pedro-Ivan Sanchez, PhD (INRS) June
1996. Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River, Ottawa, Canada.
- Kitsofe Kwadjo, MScA (INRS) June 1997.
- Dr. Catherine Rainer, Post-doc 1996 -
1997. Professor, Laboratoire de Mathematique,Universite de Brest, Brest, France.
- M. Bitsaki, MSc (Essex) 1998. Currently, Assistant Professor,
FORTH, Crete, Greece.
- Constantinos Kotopoulos, PhD
in Mathematics, Sept 2001 (Essex, UK). Currently with
Consulting, Athens, Greece.
- Ozcan Ozturk, PhD (Purdue)
Dec. 2003. Member of Technical Staff, Qualcomm, San Diego, USA
- Jang Won Lee, PhD (Purdue) May 2004
N. Shroff). Professor of ECE, Yonsei University, Korea
- Francisco Piera, PhD (Purdue),
Nov 2005. Asst. Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University
of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Yu Ying, PhD (Purdue),
June 2006 (co-supervised with C. Rosenberg). Member of Technical Staff,
Juniper, Cupertino, Ca., USA
- Gaurav Sharma, PhD (Purdue)
Nov. 2006. Vice President, D.E. Shaw and Co., NY, USA
- Ilter Saygin, MS (Purdue)
2004. Currently, Financial Engineer, NY, USA
- Hengameh Keshavarz, PhD
(Waterloo) Sept 2008, (co-supervised with Dr. L-L. Xie), Assistant Professor, University of Sistan and Baluchistan, Iran.
- Kexin Ma, MASc (Waterloo)
Waterloo. Current affiliation: Qualcomm, San Diego, USA
- Oleg Smolyanov, MASc
2007, (Mathematical finance) (co-supervised with Dr. A. Heunis).
Current affiliation: Quantitative Analyst with International Investors (
hedge fund) in
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Sameh Gabrail, MASc
2008, Docker Inc, Canada
- Dr. Long Le,
Post-doctoral Scholar. Currently, Associate Professor, INRS-EMT, Montreal, Canada
- Jean-Paul Haddad, PhD (Waterloo) 2011. Currently: Ontario Securities Commision, Toronto, Canada.
- Syamantak Datta Gupta,
MASc Jun. 2009. PhD 2013 (Waterloo). Currently with Morgan Stanley, Montreal, Canada.
- Sharad Birmiwal, PhD Waterloo, June 2012. Currently with Arista Networks, Richmond, BC.
- Sesha Sayee, (PhD IISc 2007) Post-
doctoral scholar (2008-10), Currently with Center of Excellence for Wireless Technology (CEWiT), Chennai, India.
- Z. Chen, MScA 2008.
- M. Agatonovic, MASc 2010.
- F. Zoghalchi, MASc Waterloo, 2012. Currently : PhD student , Dept of Mathematics University of Toronto.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, PhD Waterloo Jan. 2016. Currently Post-doctoral Researcher, EPFL, Switzerland. Winner of the first ITC Rising Scholar Award, 2018.
Barjasteh, MScA Waterloo, 2012 (co-supervised with C. Rosenberg).
Currently PhD student at Booth School of Business, University of
- T. Vasantam (MS IISc 2014), PhD student since Sept. 2014.
- R. Rishikesh (PhD Math, U Waterloo), Post-doc 2013-14. Currently with Morgan Stanley, Montreal, Canada.
- M. Agarwal (PhD MIT 2010), Post-doctoral scholar, 6/2014-11/2014.
- K. Swamy (PhD IISc 2014), Post-doc, September 2014-June 2015. Currently with Qualcomm, Bangalore, India.
- B. Santhana (PhD IIT Bombay 2015), Post-doc since June 2015.
- Ryan Kinnear (MASc, Waterloo 2017), PhD student since Fall 2017.
- R. Meshram (PhD, IIT Bombay 2017), Post-doctoral scholar since Jan. 2018.